Friday, July 11, 2008

I am a Master Zucchini Gardener


And I know that speaks volumes about my skills in the garden. Ha. We're harvesting two or three zukes a day and I'm really glad I invested in the 225 recipes for zucchini book.

We have had no rain in weeks and I feel like I'm dumping half the water volume from the canal onto the garden every day. Despite my fears about over watering, I've come to believe that it's virtually impossible to over water a thirsty pumpkin plant after six weeks of near 100 degree weather.

The bean patch is coming along and starting to flower. I predict yummy snap beans in our near future!


The sunflowers have crossed the second support on the fence and are reaching towards the top. The wildflowers are beginning to bloom.


The tomatoes are nearly to the top of their cages and all the plants have fruit. However, nothing is ripening. Google says that it may be the heat. If that is the case, we'll have a lot of ripe tomatoes....... in September.





I think I've been parching the peppers. While they have been growing, the leaves look kind of shrively (that's a master zucchini gardener term, by the way). I mulched with a few shovelfuls of compost and have been watering a lot more heavily. Hopefully we'll get a few peppers this year.


My pride and joy! We discovered this little beauty when we lifted a vine out of the straw. It's from the Sugar Baby watermelon plant that I feared near death just a few weeks ago. Hooray for resilient plants!


My other sweet baby (muskmelon). Despite a bevy of bees and wasps, I've been hand pollinating "just to be sure". Call me desperate for success.



I'm not sure if I planted these too late, but I stumbled upon Moon and Stars watermelon seeds over Father's Day weekend. I love the spotted foliage and hope the season is long enough to produce spotted fruit.


It's starting to look like the squash jungle of my imagination.

1 comment:

Meghan said...

It's lookin' good! Very impressed...