Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Fifth Grade Capitalism

Tomorrow, my son will open his own business. We ironed out all of the last minute details (i.e., business model and plan, overhead costs, product line, target customer base, etc.) while flopped on the bed this afternoon. It was an informal meeting squeezed in between afternoon chores and a 5:15 little league game. We finished initial inventory production right before bedtime.



Fabric bookmarks. He cut the letters and the yarn, I did the sewing. We make a great team.

Speaking of teams, each bookmark features the "letter" of a local university. The "U" (yay!) and the "Y" (boo hiss!). Normally (as "U" alum) we don't allow our children to utter the word "Y" let alone decorate with it, but this was in the name of capitalism and that, of course, justifies everything.

His shop opens in Mrs. J's class tomorrow. "Class Money" is the only form of currency accepted and he will be operating amongst a gaggle of young entrepreneurs all competing for a limited customer base of approximately 26 ten year olds. He'll have to purchase a business license from his teacher and he has to pay me (in Class Money) for the supplies.

Turns out my labor is unpaid. Hmmph.

Seems to be a theme in my life.

I wonder if my favorite fabric store will accept my Class Money?

Anywho, I can't wait to see what he buys with any profit he earns. Last year he brought home a paper cup full of neon green gloop which he was lucky enough to score right before it sold out.

3 comments:

Semi-Organized Mom said...

That is so creative!!! Maybe, since he's so helpful, he'll help you sew some teen pads (which we'll need pretty soon). ;)

Petit Elefant said...

I love that craft. Seriously. Can't wait to try it!

Petit Elefant said...

What a clever project the teacher has come up with, I love it! Can't wait to see how it all turns out...