Friday, April 30, 2010

Simplicity 2447

I did it! I sewed five tops for Spring Top Week! I'm so proud of myself for reaching my goal and I learned SO MUCH this month.

Without further ado, here is Top #5



This is from Simplicity 2447. I combined view F and View D and added a few little twists of my own.

This pattern has princess seaming, which was a first for me. I love it! When I sew this pattern again, I'm going to lengthen it into a shirt dress. The princess seams make for a flattering cut for my body type.

Unlike the pattern, my pockets are "mock". I saw this recently on a top and thought it was a cute and easy embellishment without added bulk (and work). I never use breast pockets anyway.

I cut most of the top from an inexpensive lightweight cotton from Joann. I used a vintage cotton floral print for trim detail that I bought on eBay last year and have been jealously hoarding for the right project. I thought about making a belt (one side blue fabric, the other side the floral), but I thought that might be a little matchy matchy overkill.

I think it's also fairly cute without a belt.



Too shapeless? What do you think?

Better with the belt?



Here is a closer view of the trim:





So this month, I sewed seven (!) tops, a spring jacket, two skirts, and two dresses. Two of those items are wearable muslins, so not sure they completely count.

When I get interested in a new skill, I tend to get a little.. ahem.. compulsive.

Insert Sheepish Grin.

Thanks, Rae, for the inspiration and motivation to learn to sew for myself!

1 comment:

Meghan said...

Better with the belt.

Love the trim.

I heard JCPenney is hiring for models. You should apply.