Friday, April 16, 2010

Surprise! Another top.



I'm on a roll. This is my third entry for Spring Top Week.

This one is adapted from McCall's 5425. The pattern is for a dress and I lopped off the bottom to make it a top.

I fell in love with this lovely satin charmeuse at JoAnn. It's heavenly to wear yet it sucketh to sew. It will likely be awhile before I purchase it again.



If you are stupid .. ahem.. BRAVE enough to try charmeuse, here are a few tips I picked up along the way:

1) Make a tissue paper sandwich before cutting your pattern. Place a piece of tissue paper on your cutting table, then place your fabric on top of the tissue paper, then place another piece of tissue paper on top. Pin your pattern to the entire sandwich, through all layers. Then cut. This will keep the charmeuse from slipping around and distorting your pieces.

2) Start with a new needle.

3) When IF you have to rip seams, be vvvvvvveeeeeeeeeeerrrrrrrrryyy careful, because if you pull too hard, you'll get runs in your fabric. It's not so fun.

4) Maybe it was just this particular charmeuse, but it didn't agree much with my serger. I found that french seams looked and worked better.

No comments: