Tuesday, August 3, 2010

The last little birdie

It's back to school time here in Utah. Yes, already! We're on a year-round schedule, so our "summer" is only three weeks long. But before you feel too sorry for us, we get another three weeks off in September, which happens to be a fabulous time for family vacations.

And it's no ordinary back-to-school this year.
The littlest Carrot Top started Kindergarten today!



I took lots of pictures.
She quickly tired of it.











It's a family milestone. All of our children are now in school.

No, I did not wear mascara to her send-off.

Yes, that was a good decision.

No, I did not come home and take a nap.

No, I did not go shopping.

No, I did not sew anything.

I had a sick seven year old to contend with. Actually, the Playstation contended with the sick child for the most part. But I doled out Kool-Aid and cereal as needed.

Oh, and I have a baby.

Not MY baby, of course (see "family milestone" above). My BFF's son Ryan is hanging out with us in August while her regular babysitter (aka Ryan's grandma) attends to her husband's (aka Ryan's grandpa's) medical needs.

Anyway. I didn't come home to an empty house and tiptoe through the tulips nor cry into my tea. It was kind of a normalish afternoon for a mother of four, despite the empty nest milestone. And that was okay, because I'll be all alone soon enough.


When I came to pick her up, she was all a twitter with the day's news. Everything went great. We own the book the teacher read. She got to sit next to her BFF (aka our neighbor Madison). They sit at the Yellow Table. They get fruit snacks for good behavior.

She did not appreciate having only through the teacher's count of five to drink at the water fountain after recess.

"I was freakin' thirsty!"

(It is, after all, 97 degrees. I do hope the teacher counted, "One Mississippi, Two Mississippi.. ")

She has adopted her preteen brothers' vernacular.

It's precious, don't you think?





My last little birdie has flown the nest.

2 comments:

Holly said...

Sniff Sniff! What a bittersweet day, but she looks like she is thrilled!

Baby Mama said...

I should post a pic of her at my wedding shower. She was so little then! They grow up so fast. Makes me kind of sad. I'm glad she had a good day though!