Monday, May 9, 2011

Spring Fever Top!

I did it! I did it! I sewed and entered three tops for the Made by Rae Spring Top Sewalong!

This one is aptly named the Spring Fever Top. Why aptly? Is it because it's a chilly 43 degrees on May 9th and I am slightly bitter?

Nope.

Is it because I'm super jealous that my brother and sister-in-law are in So Cal for the next two weeks doing nothing but snoozing by the pool and soaking up sunshine whilst I stare out the window at the endless, cold, cold rain?

Guess Again.

It's because I actually have spring fever. Except mine is called "Pneumonia".

And when my mother gets wind that I've been sewing and photo'ing and blogging when I am supposed to be RESTing... well. I better turn off the ringer.

But today is the entry deadline and I was not going to let a teeny weeny little lung infection stop me from entering this top. I've been literally dreaming (maybe it was a febrile siezure?) about this baby.


I don't generally look good in white (even my wedding dress had to be ivory. That is the only reason it wasn't white. I swear.). Yet white is such an iconic warm weather color. I have found that I can get away with white if there is a little somethin' somethin' to break up all the vast whiteness. I knew this lovely soft embroidered gauze would be perfect to sew up something summery.



I used Simplicity 4176. I omitted the pleats in the front and back. I also fully lined the bodice with white muslin since this fabric is fairly sheer. I added the channel and tie under the bodice as well. I stole the cute little silver beads on the ends of the ties from a purchased shirt that I don't wear often. I sewed my usual size 12 with no sizing alterations necessary. This is a nice pullover pattern for woven fabrics and it does not require a zipper. Yay!



I'm very happy with how this top turned out. I think it's my favorite! I'd also like to thank the pharmaceutical industry which made completing this challenge possible today. :)

2 comments:

Lynette said...

I'm sorry you're sick! I hope you get feeling better. Love the shirt.

Baby Mama said...

I would really like this top for me!